Entries for TGOC24 will open on 20th September for anyone with guaranteed places (invitations by email) and 1st October for anyone else. The entry form will appear on the bottom of this page on 1st October but please read the rest of it first!
Step 1: Check your skills
Before entering the TGO Challenge you should have the following skills:
- Ability to navigate across pathless rugged terrain using digital or analogue map and compass – not be solely reliant on GPS.
- Ability to carry personal and camping equipment and a minimum of 3 days provisions.
- Previous experience of backpacking including ‘no trace’ camping in a wild environment with no facilities. One of these trips need to be in the last few years and at least 3 days long.
- Capacity to be self-sufficient in remote areas where help may not be easily accessible including suitable first aid skills.
- Be able to assess and deal with adverse weather (wind, rain and occasionally snow and excessive heat) and have the ability to assess and, when appropriate, safely cross unbridged river/burns in spate.
All team members, not just the team leader, must have these skills. If you are uncertain about your skills please contact the coordinators, Sue & Ali, for advice on 07786 628105 / 07769 952085 or email email@example.com.
Step 2: Read the Terms and Conditions
Even if you have completed multiple crossings, please read the latest Terms and Conditions (2024 version available by 20th September) before you apply as some things will have changed. In particular please take note of the withdrawal and cancellation clauses. We try to keep rules to a minimum, but you must agree to abide by those we have. You will be asked to confirm you have read and accepted the Terms and Conditions at the end of Entry Form. The Event Details (available by 20th September) giving advice how to plan and present your route.
Step 3: Complete the Entry Form
If this will be your first Challenge, you will be asked for details of your walking experience which the coordinators will assess. If you have entered before, but not yet completed a crossing, you still need to provide this information in full again. Very occasionally we have to ask new applicants to gain more experience before participating. If you are part of a group, you will be asked for the names of your companions and your group leader so the Coordinators can put you into a team. Each team member must complete their own form.
Entries will open on:
- 20th September for those with guaranteed places. This include vetters, volunteers, those with places deferred from previous years affected by Covid-19, Challengers planning their 10th, 20th or 30th crossings. Anyone in these groups will be invited to apply by email. Any walking partners may also apply at this time.
- 1st October for everyone else on a first-come-first-served basis.
The entry fee of £105 will be requested (where relevant) during the entry process. Anyone the Coordinators assess as not having suitable skills or experience will be refunded promptly and fully. Once the 400 paid places are filled any further entrants will be given the chance to go on the reserve list until 23rd October.
Once the entry form is available it can be accessed by clicking the button below. Please note it won’t until 1st October!